P R E S E N T A T I O N O F I N T E L L E C T U M
Intellectum is one of Europe’s leading cultural journals. It is a member of the Eurozine network (www.eurozine.com) and is listed in several international databases. The journal aims at the systematic development of thought and criticism with “accessible” yet high-standard content, publishing articles and treatises selected according to blind-review procedures from a range of fields (philosophy, law, political science, economics, sociology, prose, poetry), as well as lengthy interviews with eminent public figures. It is the first Greek journal that utilises ‘Englisheek’, i.e. the writing of all English words with Greek letters. It is available in hard copy in selected bookstores, mainly in Thessaloniki and Athens, and online via its bilingual (Greek-English) website (www.intellectum.org).
Intellectum aims at the systematic development of thought, criticism and scientific discourse with “accessible” yet high-standard content in articles and treatises. The interdisciplinary approach creates an additional pedagogical value, which contributes in promoting new ways of viewing reality and in the positive-oriented change of mindset.
Simultaneously, Intellectum aims at the harmonic combination of science and culture. The articles and treatises constitute an inspiration for original visual creations (sketches-photographs). Therefore, via collaborations with scientists, eminent professionals, authors, undergraduate and postgraduate students, poets (www.poein.gr), creators of visual arts and photography groups (www.stereosis.com), Intellectum is the first journal presenting current topics in a highly aesthetic yet thorough way.
P R E V I O U S & P R E S E N T A C T I V I T I E S
Intellectum has published eight issues since 2006. In fact, the 8th issue was published in December 2011, while the 9th issue is currently underway. Since the 8th issue, the Intellectum journal includes a 16-page pamphlet of the online poetic review ‘Poiein’ (www.poiein.gr) and is available in hardcopy in selected bookstores of Athens and Thessaloniki (Protoporia, IANOS, Sexpirikon, Barbounakis, Savvalas, Kentri, Rengis, Ragias, Lexis, Politeia, Nautilos, New Estia, Patakis and others) at 5 €.
The 8th issue of Intellectum introduces:
- An extensive interview of the acclaimed journalist Stelios Kouloglou about the financial, political and social crisis, the illegal immigration, the freedom of expression, the journalism ethics, the media and others.
- Contemporary issues on the financial crisis, the abolition of the Greek Constitution, the violation of fundamental labour rights, the nuclear danger, the possibility of the Eurozone dissolution and others.
- Short stories.
- Book reviews.
Intellectum is the only Greek journal which applies the internationally accepted ‘double blind peer review’ system, and consistently upholds the principle of meritocracy.
Intellectum keeps its own website (www.intellectum.org), where all the journal’s issues are available gratis and appears also online in social media either autonomously (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Intellectum-Journal/35805951993) or in collaboration with other cultural groups (https://www.facebook.com/groups/146849022049873).
It enhances the Greek scientific thought, via collaborating with Greek and foreign academics and budding scientists, and transfers it on the international forum (by publishing articles to other countries and participating in international conferences).
Furthermore, Intellectum is actively engaged in the advancement and protection of the Greek language and is the first to utilize ‘Englisheek’ in its articles, i.e. the writing of all English words with Greek letters (the exact opposite of the widespread ‘Greeklish’).
The journal is also actively engaged in the formulation of the modern European Thought:
- It is a member of the European cultural journals network Eurozine (www.eurozine.com), which links up to more than 80 partner journals and just as many associated magazines and institutions from nearly all European countries. Eurozine often publishes in its homepage Intellectum articles and interviews, which are then read by thousands of people from all over the world.
- Its articles are listed in several international databases, such as Copernicus Index (http://www.indexcopernicus.com/info.php?id=6) and Digital Open Access Journals [(DOAJ)- www.doaj.org], and has been awarded with the Sparc Europe Seal, which sets standards for the leading open access journals.
- Public figures of international fame have written articles for the journal, such as the Yale University President Richard C. Levin, the emeritus honorary professor of Penal Theory and Penal Law of Cambridge University Andrew von Hirsch and the professor of Historical Studies of Princeton University and former vice-chancellor of Heidelberg University Angelos Haniotis.
- Moreover, each issue hosts a lengthy interview of an eminent public figure. Thus, there have been published and posted on the website interviews of the former Chief Prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) Carla Del Ponte, the worldwide known political theorist Ernesto Laclau, the philosopher David S. Oderberg, the forensic anthropologist Sue Black, the Scottish crime writer Paul Johnston, the professor of communcation studies Richard Katula, the writer Panos Theodorides, the journalist Stelios Kouloglou and the famous professor of International Criminal and Human Rights Law William Schabas.
Moreover, permanent collaborations have been established with young notable artists of visual arts (e.g. Dimitris Karlaftopoulos, Lila Agrafioti, Christos Stamboulis), the most visited Greek poetic portal ‘Poiein’ (www.poiein.gr) and photography groups such as the Photography Center of Thessaloniki (www.fkth.gr) and Stereosis (www.stereosis.com).
Intellectum publishes also conference and lectures’ minutes on various interdisciplinary topics ranging from internet crime to the Eurozone crisis.
The journal is constantly present in International Book Fairs, either independently or under the auspices of the National Book Centre of Greece and mounts social events and speeches in such fairs as well as bookstore and multi purpose venues.
Apart from its website, the journal’s issues are also available online in the National Book Centre and the digital library ‘Pandimos’ of Panteion University http://library.panteion.gr:8080/dspace/community-list.
Intellectum is also available in hard copy in 120 public municipal and university libraries throughout Greece.
Furthermore, Intellectum is distributed since its 7th issue in hard copy in central bookstores of Athens and Thessaloniki.
Intellectum has founded a Translation Department run by members of the Intellectum Scientific Society and volunteers, which translates the published articles in English for its online bilingual edition. Hence, all the articles’ summaries can be read in English, while a great portion of these articles is fully translated.
It must be noted that Intellectum is the journal with the biggest percentage of its published articles fully translated in English by far in comparison to any other Greek journal.
F U T U R E P L A N S
The further development of the journal is currently planned via the following actions:
- Employment of permanent staff.
- Upgrade and reconstruction of the website – continuous presence on the web via the daily column “Fingerprints of the Day”.
- Publication of a complete English version of all Intellectum issues and web articles.
- Promotion of the journal to a wider audience, input at more online databases and dispatch to more Greek, European and American libraries.
- Establishment of an annual essay contest for new writers.
P A R T I C I P A T I O N O F O T H E R I N S T I T U T I O N S & G R O U P S I N I N T E L L E C T U M
In the creation of every issue, apart from the authors, they often participate:
- Notable new artists of visual arts
- Photography groups:
Stereosis – www.stereosis.com,
Photography Center of Thessaloniki (www.fkth.gr)
- Groups of writers and poets (www.poiein.gr)
- Student groups of the Law School of aristotle university of Thessaloniki
O N L I N E M A T E R I A L
Official web pages
Websites of other institutions, organizations and journals with references to Intellectum
National Book Centre of Greece
‘Pandimos’ Online Library of Panteio University http://library.panteion.gr:8080/dspace/community-list
Digital Open Access Journals
Eurozine portal of European culture journals
Berliner Gazette (German journal)
Ny Tid (Finnish journal)
Snapshots of the 7th Journal Issue Event